Masters Scholarships: Wits University – TU Berlin Bilateral Masters Scholarships 2020/2021 for African Students
The scholarships are for studies in the School of Architecture and Planning, Wits University, South Africa and summer/spring school in Berlin, Germany.
- Application deadline for admission: 30th June 2020
- Application deadline for scholarships: 31st July 2020
Eligible Countries: African countries
To Be Taken At (Country): South Africa and Germany.
About the Award: The bilateral Wits-TUB Urban Lab programme supported by the Federal Ministry for Economic
Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) seeks to improve graduate education in urban fields across sub-Saharan Africa. Both lead partners, the Habitat Unit at the School of Architecture of the Technische Universität Berlin, and the School of Architecture and Planning at University of the Witwatersrand offer a new urban-oriented graduate and postgraduate training and capacity building programme that would effectively address the challenges and needs outlined below .
The programme includes bilateral exchange activities, workshops and conferences implemented through the Wits-TUB Urban Lab and will focus on four innovation areas that address SDG implementation in
- Politics and policy of the urban
- Understanding complex urban systems
- Managing change processes
- Coproducing knowledge between theory and practice (Wits-TUB Urban Studio)
Fields of Study: The masters scholarships apply to the following 1 year full time degrees at Wits University in Johannesburg, supported by a bilateral programme with TU Berlin:
- MSc Development Planning (MSc DP)
- Master of Urban Studies in the field of Sustainable Energy Efficient Cities – MUS (SEEC)
- Master of Urban Studies in the field of Housing and Human Settlements – MUS (HHS)
- Master of Urban Studies in the field of Urban Politics and Governance (MUS – UPG)
- Master of Urban Studies in the field of Urban Management – MUS (UM)
Up to 7 scholarships out of 11 are earmarked for MUS (Urban Management).
Please note that once completed, the degree certificates are issued by Wits University. They are not joint degrees as such.
Eligibility: Scholarships are open to :
- This call is open for applicants who are citizens of sub-Saharan African countries other than South Africa.
- Applicants must possess the requisite qualifications for admission into the respective master programme
- Award of the scholarships is by merit and to some extent distribution across the continent and gender balance.
There is no age limit applying to the scholarships for study purposes. However, at the time of the application, no more than 6 years should have passed since an applicant graduated from his/her previous bachelor or master studies.
All scholarship applicants must have applied for admission to the relevant degree (as per above list) at Wits University and be in possession of a ‘person number’ which is issued by Wits University upon application for admission into a degree.
Number of Awards: 11
Value of Award: Successful candidates will be expected to sign a contract stipulating the conditions of the scholarship. The scholarship includes:
- Full tuition fee
- Monthly stipend (living expenses including: subsistence expences, accommodation, other costs)
- Travel from home country/place of origin is covered.
- Costs of Summer/Spring School in Berlin
The scholarship recipients will benefit from guest lectures, joint supervision scheme and a summer school at Wits University.
Duration of Programme: The masters scholarship covers the duration of one academic year.
How to Apply:
- Every applicant has to fill in the first basicApplication form before they can access the full form.
- The whole application process (including online access to the application form) is found IN LINK BELOW